Follow these key bullet points to find the BEST Home Inspector for your upcoming Home Purchase.
- Choose someone who wants you present: A great home inspector will want the homeowner to accompany them throughout the process of the inspection. That way, the owner gets the most out of the experience, rather than just looking at a report at the end.
- Look at a sample report: Speaking of reports, the quality of the inspection report will also serve as a good indicator. Many inspection agencies offer a sample report on their website, so you can check for clarity, formatting and whether or not they include photos.
- Go through review sites: Yelp, Google, Review and Angie’s List continue to be great places to check for customer reviews. In addition to good ratings, a great company will often engage with customers and address concerns.
- Ask about experience and certifications: Interview the inspector regarding their work history, if they have any certifications, as well as if they belong to any professional organizations. This information can help you get a sense of their level of professionalism and commitment to their industry.
- Verify their license and insurance: This should go without saying, but one should always double-check that contractors they hire have the required licensing and insurance. Good contractors will often provide copies of these items without your having to ask.
- Ask if there is an extra fee for additional items: If you have any areas to inspect that are not usually included in an inspection, such as a septic system or foundation problems, find out if the inspector will charge an extra fee.